Friday, October 2, 2009

The Common Cold

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I've been AWOL for a while. I've been super sick! :( Today has been the first day I've felt well enough to even look at a computer. It all started Tuesday morning, I woke up with a weird lump in my throat. Everyone has some sort of indicator that they are getting sick, and mine happens to be the throat lump. Agh! I tried to ward it off with a 10 mile bike ride (See previous post), but no avail. I woke up Wednesday morning feeling awful. My little sister swears that Theraflu cures all of her ailments, so I decided to give it a try and had a lovely breakfast of double fiber bread, light peanut butter, 100% fruit jelly, 3/4 of a banana and...Theraflu-YUM. :-/

I went to work, made it about 2 hours into my work day and my boss suggested I leave. I must have looked as bad as I felt. I felt really bad- we are in a crunch time at work and I didn't want to let anyone down, but I was no use in my job being sick and not having a voice!!

I called my husband and he immediately came home to take care of me. He is the sweetest, most godly, amazing man ever. :) He stocked up on some sick essentials- soup, corn, thermometer, Advil, etc and made me dinner. My temperature was 102 that night! I was having severe chills, hot flashes, hallucination dreams- you name it! Very scary. I had every symptom of the swine flu. :( I was terrified. We agreed to give it the night and see if I got better. Thursday sweet Scott took the day off work and drove me to the drs. They did tests for Flu and strep- both came back negative thank God! They basically told me they weren't sure what I had, the best guess was a viral infection, or the common cold. How anti climatic! They also noted that I had a fever over 100 still, and very low blood pressure from not eating enough.

Scott drove me home and put me to bed while he ventured out to get my 2 prescriptions. One he found right away. The other, however, apparently isn't as common, and he drove to 4 different stores until he finally located it at Super Target. (Go Target!) When he came back, he came with more then just meds:

So sweet! :) The card was adorable, and he got me a flashing light for my bike so we can ride more safely at night now that it's dark. He also told me part of my "Get well soon" gift included a cushioned bike seat that he was going to let me pick when I felt better. :)

Thursday was almost worse then Wednesday for me. I was hot, out of energy, bored, and sleepy. I wanted to spend time with my husband but all I wanted to do was sleep. :( So that's mostly what I did!

Today he had to go back into work (my dr told me to stay at home until at LEAST Monday). I took some codeine spiked cough syrup last night (prescribed by the dr!), and I didn't wake up until after noon! Scott left me a voice memo on my phone telling me to head into the kitchen for another surprise. Here is what I saw:

HOW SWEET! He left me all my sick foods, with an encouraging note that detailed the schedule of medicines I was supposed to take (I have to take something every 2 hours). Unfortunately I had slept through most of them. :( I think I'm going to lay of the Codeine because I'm still tired!!!

All in all even though it sucks to be sick, I have been meditating on what I'm thankful for. Here's my list for today:

I'm Thankful for...
~My husband
~My God who never leaves me or forsakes me
~My dog who is a great cuddler. :)
~Living in a country where we have access to medicine, drs, etc.
~A job with paid sick leave and health insurance
~Noodle soup and corn. yum
~A sound mind and body that can eat healthy and exercise (usually). :)

What about you? What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog! I will have to add you on to my blog list! I am glad you are no longer sick. I am getting over the swine flu, so I know how you were feeling! Thank heavens that flus only last about a week, huh? Any more would be torture!